Thursday, September 16, 2010

In the mind of a custodian.

Bello. 
When I'm at work manning the desk, the same custodial worker wipes down and cleans the windows to the student union entrance. With such precision and grace he wipes down the glass with some amonia-rific solution. He moves when visitors enter or leave. He's quiet yet friendly and approachable. He keeps to himself, mainly speaking only when spoken to. After he wipes down all the glass, he puts his basketball  skills to the test and shoots the wet pieces of paper towel into the trash can near the desk I sit at. He usually makes 1 outta the 3 shots. I give him some words of encouragement along with a friendly exchange of small talk before he's off to...

***Sidenote***
Guy just left student union in seersucker shorts and a Hanes white T. I lurve guys in seersucker. He was probably gay or a straight, uber feminine nice guy. Either way, I wish he was my friend. 

...go off and make the rest of the student union so clean and sparkly. But I sometimes wonder what he's thinking through all the hustle and bustle of the lobby. He'll usually be around there sweeping the floor before or during activity hour - an hour from 12-1 where no one has classes and people usually come have lunch or go to club meetings...a majority of the business is usually on Tuesdays and Thursdays, when activity hours are put into effect. I have the lucky job of managing the building during activity hour on Thursdays...i get fucking overwhelmed with a mob of people in the lobby. Ehhh. I saw him today - still yet to catch his name - sweeping the floor and just listening to all the different conversations going on at once, I wonder how he can stand it. Girls talking about sorority stuff, guys talking about boozing later tonight, people finding out where certain meetings are, people constantly asking me for help or to open doors or to set up things like projectors, which are not my forte (despite the fact I've been working here for 3 years...I suck).

I feel as if he must go nuts or he's secretly shitting on the world, or just the people talking in the lobby. I know it sounds weird but one must truly sit at the desk for about 2 hours and just listen to the conversations coming in and out of this building. It's fascinating eavesdrop of people. Quite fun too.

No comments:

Post a Comment