Wednesday, November 24, 2010

(Un)comfortable with enmity.

After catching up on Red's posts that I've been failing to read (sorry, Red!), I just finished reading her "Not So Glee-ful" post and had a brush of inspiration. Although I am not a Gleek, the jist of her post was what intrigued me. She touched on some serious topics that many people including myself don't necessarily think of all the time.The topic involved certain slurs that come out of our mouths when referring to things that are "lame" or "stupid." We use other words to describe such things like: "gay" or "retarded". And another word that, to me, sounds like nails on a chalkboard with a hint of a pig getting ready to be butchered (graphic I know)...faggot. I'm not too keen on the word at all. I'll admit, I am guilty of using it when I was young and ignorant of the hatred that the gay community had received and is still receiving. I'm guilty of using when arguing with my father about, ironically, homosexuality. He would always make these stupid jokes while we watched television and if the slightest "gay" thing was broadcasted, he'd have something to say. "Oh no, he's not gay at all," he say sarcastically. I'd get pissed at him for saying such jokes because over time I realized how hurtful words can be. And its not just the words "faggot" and "gay" that irritate me. The N word alone can describe all forms of hatred of a single race if not all minority groups. I don't use it but it is included in a few of my friends' vocabularies. I can't mother someone and say, "You're ignorant." But I'm certainly entitled to say, "Please don't use that word around me. Thank you." Kindly of course...until they start getting defensive. Then No More Mr. Nice Spice will be forced to be unleashed.

Basically, one should watch what he/she says around certain people because they will encounter a multitude of different people in the real world (and if that's too hard to do then think before you speak or move to a society that thinks like you do, which is probably Mars or nonexistent). I remember one instance where I was talking to an acquaintance I had Sociology class with freshmen year. We were talking about our schedules and work load and I said how one of my classes was "retarded." He kindly said how he doesn't like that word because he works with mentally disabled youth. I immediately felt bad and apologized.



Everyone is entitled to their own opinions about race, orientation, politics, mental illness, etc. But that doesn't mean we can totally forget about respect. I'm sure I will struggle with saying hating words in the future, mindlessly spitting one out when I find myself in a flustered situation. I am not perfect nor do I try to be but working on something that I'm capable of changing (the words that come outta my mouth), unlike disabilities, sexual orientations, and race that are unable to be changed about someone. What I try to do is better myself in a sense that I will be more respectful (with the ocassional immature mishap...as in being a goofball at practice or dancing at work or cursing like a sailor). Do I at least get points for trying?*
*I've actually been really good so far, using words like "lame" or "foul" or "fuckness." And if any of my friends say certain words that make my ears bleed I kindly/slightly mention how I don't like those words. But mostly I just scrunch my face.

The following music video is not only a song I enjoy, but it embodies a unique love that many may not understand because it includes scenes that aren't exactly socially accepted (although we've come a long way for gay rights...but still). And I also have this HUGE crush on Alex Ebert aka Musical Jesus (he's scruffy when fronting Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros who I still need to see before I die...musical ecstasy. I'm sure one of their concerts would be so hippie-centric...totally up my alley). As for Brady Corbett, who is gay in real life, I like him without the eye liner but hey, who am I to judge? Enjoy your Turkey Day y'all.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment