Sunday, November 14, 2010

Ants marched and it was grand.

After a long hiatus of doing anything but updating my followers (apologies), I'm back...sorta. Just came back from a Sunday morning run outside. Love it when the leaves fall. Don't love it when my shins start bothering me as Prodigy's "Smack My Bitch Up" plays on my running playlist.

Last Friday night, I scored last minute tickets to the sold out Dave Matthews Band concert at Madison Square Garden. Yeah, how would ANYONE have something more important that they had to sell their tickets to Dave? I was so fortunate to have had a friend who had two tickets he had to get rid of, considering I didn't get to see him over the summer and this would be his last year touring for a while. My friend Chipmunk bought the other ticket and we would both be sitting with my friend McKeon (my male blogger friend and rowing teammate) and Michelle (my former coxswain & McKeon's guuurrrlfran). M&M aww how cahuuute. Chipmunk was a fun concert-going pal to come with and she was equally as excited as I was. She told us of this awesome place in Penn Station (which I had no idea is directly below MSG) called Rose's. A quaint pizza parlor with lots of space as well as an array of different beers on tap. They put them in these large, plastic 7-11esque big gulp cups with covers and straws. An adult-sized fun cup.

Chipmunk & I @ Rose's with our big cups before DMB
 We sat in a section away from our other friend Tori and Andrew who also came. In the beginning, Dave played a few songs from his last album "Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King." Full setlist from show here: http://road.davematthewsband.com/SetlistsDir/setlist.asp

When "Crash Into Me" came on, Chipmunk and I jimped like no other. But I must say the icing on the cake was "Lie In Our Graves" with an epic solo by violinist Boyd Tinley. Ahhh. I was hoping for "American Baby" but he never really plays that at concerts according to Frump. "Grey Street" and "You & Me" were also played, some of the usual tunes he plays often. Encore consisted of "Dive In" (presh) & "All Along the Watchtower" (which had this calm-before-the-storm feel to it, like bursts of lightning in between). All in all, he played a lot of upbeat songs this time. I remember when I went to see him at Hershey Park in Pennsylvania (3 summers ago) & at Alpine Valley in Wisconsin (2 summers ago with the biffle nug) he played a lot of chill, slow ones. But this was by far an awesome show. So upbeat and by the smell of weed all around me I'm sure the thousands of people who showed up were enjoying it too.
Not the best quality but its compliments of my Blackberry
Some vids people filmed from the show via YouTube: "All Along the Watchtower", "Crash" (presh), "Warehouse"

Couldn't find "Lie in our Graves" with the epic B.T. solo. A song I wish he played but will have to wait for next time he tours: "American Baby"

Amazing concert as usual DMB :)

No comments:

Post a Comment