Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The sexy choice.

A recent topic has been on the rise in a few of my ad classes in the previous weeks...

But first, I want to say that I thoroughly enjoy my ad classes, despite them being three hour-long night classes. It's a time, once a week, where a few of us Advertising majors get together and discuss creativity and other ideas pertaining to this area of Mass Communication. In other words, we laugh and bullshit for three hours and talk about the advertisements found in past and current mass media and critique them. We also are given brands as semester pets (projects) and think of creative ways of promoting the brand/service/product in a new and innovative way. Why do I enjoy this? Mainly the topics being discussed. I've always had a liking for anything creative. Anything out of the ordinary. Anything that strikes a chord, good or bad. Anything risky, yet with a successful outcome. Anything that has to do with creating something is what I'm into and I think Advertising is an area in Mass Communication where creativity can flourish. Plus I'm not too keen on business.*
*And the people as well because they are crazy in the head like I am and their brains never turn off...like mine.

The said topic that was being discussed, and I'm sure it'll come up again in the future, was Mom Jeans.

According to Urbandictionary.com, Mom Jeans are defined as, "jeans highlighting the flat curvature of the 40+ buttocks. Similies: upside-down-heart shaped-butt. Commonly seen accompained with front butt. Extremly high waist, and always a crappy shade of blue or black. Usually found in Kohl's or Mervyn's."


Of course many people will have their own definition for the fashion faux pa of generations past and present. And I'm sure we all have those family members who rock them not knowing that they look absolutely ridiculous with uncomfortable denim resting on their tummy tums oftentimes adding muffin tops to the waistline. Not hot. Yes, high waist things are in (shorts, skirts, trousers) but not fo' mamas. There is fashionable and down-right "What were you thinking" moments when it comes to high waisted attire as well as a lot of other things (i.e. Assless chaps, jorts for men, shoulder pads). 


At the same time...WE CAN'T BLAME OUR MATERNAL UNITS FOR TRYING! They too crave to feel young again. They too want to feel hip. They too want to know what's in and what's out just like we do. 


I tend to do most of my shopping when I'm back at home in the First State. Not only because it's tax free-shopping heaven but also because my mom tends to come with. Actually, she always comes with (credit card always included). Not to sound spoiled, but yes, my mom does buy me clothes when I'm with her but not anything that I want. If there is an expensive jacket I really want, I'd buy it myself if I had the money and thought it'd be a great investment, or I'd wait until it's on sale or even forget about it completely. But if my mom and I stumble across something that my eyes catch, I always ask for her opinion. Not just because she'll most likely buy it for me but because I care about what she thinks. 


Mama would never call me a slut or say I look ridiculous in something. She's too kind to do that. And she knows that I am sensitive (trust me, mama is the first person I call when I need to cry). But growing up, she's always had input on the clothes I get. She's quite the fashionista herself so I trust her opinion - despite her long affair with matching sets. "Mom! You don't have to match everything that you're wearing...Jesus. People don't really do that anymore."


Granted she asks me if things look good on her and what I think about an outfit, I'd say she has good style for a woman her age. Shit, she looks better than me sometimes (sans shoulder pads)! 


But what I'm saying with all of this is that fads can turn awry or they can come back. We can put a label on things that we would call something completely different in the past (these types of jeans weren't even a type back then but now they are considered Mom Jeans, if you catch my drift). Actually, that really wasn't the point of my blog post at all. I kinda just wanted to share a really funny story but found it necessary at the time to write all this shit...


The topic of Mom Jeans came up in one of my ad classes. Tonight, the topic of Forever 21's Maternity line was brought up. Apparently the L.A. based clothing chain stirred up controversy with their new line of clothing for pregnant woman...or teens? Bingo. Some concerned parents of teenage girls (and maybe aspiring overweight gay boys) are wondering if the store is marketing to pregnant teenagers, maybe even promoting teenage pregnancy. Hmmmm. I honestly didn't know about the line until this class. When I thought it this, I was reminded of how my mother shops at Forever 21 and she is no teenager. She tends to buy sweaters mostly. But when I came home for Columbus Day weekend I did see a pair of Forever 21 skinny jeans and I KNEW were NOT mine. 



No comments:

Post a Comment