Monday, October 18, 2010

Huhhh?

Irresponsible. Humiliated. Defeated. And disgustingly embarrassed. That's how I'm feeling right now. If there was a word that compiled all of these feelings into a ball of suck I would've used it. At the same time, that would include having to research it. Something I should've done for my Marketing project I just got back. I swear sometimes the Internet just doesn't work in one's favor, and that's not including the nasty viruses and scams that are out there.

I could be blogging about the epic weekend I recently had at Notre Dame. But I feel that I have to wait for my spirits to brighten up a bit before I get into that. Right now, the day is starting off rocky, not including this fiasco. Long story short, I thought I had a solid branding position and analysis and what not. I researched the Internet for other premium malt beverages, making sure I wasn't marketing a product that already existed. I am still doing this even after the fact. Our professor, who I've had last year and who is an amazing professor because she's actually worked in the industry and knows her shit told our class as well as another class my friend is in that she stumbled upon plagiarism in some people's projects.

Of course we all freaked out because we don't want to be included in that group. But the plagiarism she was talking about was brand management plagiarism, not so much the word-for-word/I'm stealing your idea/Facebook movie shit that everyone automatically assumes when they hear the word. I even asked her after class that day but she was thoroughly bombarded by other concerned students and since I'm a bit timid in the classroom I didn't really get an answer I was looking for.

But I got my project back and was going through it. I nailed the parts in the beginning. My analysis was swell, my target and positioning strategy was working until I got to the last part: brand name. A nice red zero situated itself next to the short paragraph she asked us to write about our brand name and reason behind it. Her read ink read something like, "there is already an energy drink with that name." A long pause of confusion. And class didn't even start. I was mad. A WTF moment. Like really? really. After I searched all over hell and creation on the fucking Internet. And she says she found one with the same name. I had her before as stated before and she told me, "I don't look at my students' names when I grade papers. But when I saw yours, I thought, 'No, she wouldn't do that.'" I was on the verge of tears. Voice trembling because I felt so dumb. As well as all the words I stated earlier. Like, how could I have been so dumb? The reason why I'm so upset about it is because I still can't find where I fucked up. I'm still looking up my brand name or apparently someone else's and I can't find it anywhere. I marketing a premium malt beverage with energy in it and apparently there's an energy drink that exists?

Double woof. Luckily she was really kind to me as well as to the other students who had the same problem I did. She told all of us that we can go forward with the project using the same brand name and that it wouldn't count against us. But what she told me was this: "What's so sad is that your grade is still significantly high even with this mishap. A lot of other students had trouble with these sections (pointing to the other portions of my paper) but you nailed it." So that made me feel a little better. But I still took this seriously because this has never happened to me and I also treated this project like a real life situation. "See ya later, job" is what I would be saying if I was working in Advertising/Marketing.

I wanna be in South Bend. Not here. Not right now. Hopefully this song will make me chill out about my day thus far: "Monster" - Kanye West feat. Rick Ross, Jay-Z, Nicki Minaj & BON IVER

Yah, Bon Iver. According to my friend Anthony/Jesse Eisenberg who roadtripped with Kayla and I, Bon Iver & Kanyizzle are collaborating on a lot of songs soon. Soon to be biffles! How caahuuute. I'm starting to feel ok. Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment