Saturday, October 9, 2010

But I'm a creep, I'm a weirdo (?)

Song to set the mood.
I totally forgot to blog about something that touched a nerve as I drove over the GW. Yeah, as in the George Washington Bridge. I didn't realize that a college freshman jumped off that bridge two weeks ago until I was driving across it today on the way home. He was gay. And embarrassed about it. And he had a douchebag roommate who had absolutely no sense of the term "privacy" considering he secretly streamed his roommate's sexual encounter with another man from a camera on his laptop. And had the audacity to share this information via Twitter like he's getting everyone to watch American Idol. Really? Really.

More info from ABC News: Tyler Clementi, Victim of Secret Dorm Sex Tape at Rutgers University, Commits Suicide

More in-depth article from India Journal (including the pictures of the 2 ass rags): http://www.indiajournal.com/pages/event.php?id=12733

And I thought the recession was bad.

It's pretty obvious how I feel about the whole thing. A lot of my friends know that I'm very open-minded when it comes to many aspects of my life as well as people I encounter. Unless you give me a reason to be annoyed by you, let alone hate you, it has to be damn good reason. Other than that, you're fine. I actually enjoy meeting new people despite my allergic reaction to people in general (mind you, sarcasm runs through me like crack...sorta). And I could give two shits if you have a girlfriend or a boyfriend or a friend who is in transition.

This tragedy is another example of how hate and discrimination along with cyber-bullying against others for their sexual orientation is something that makes me ashamed of my generation. If we haven't learned anything from grammar school about sharing, respect, and equality then that makes us incredibly stupid.

My friend Mary, who is one of my only followers, posted an amazing blog about Tyler. If you have the time to read my ridiculous posts, then I highly suggest you take the time out to read the posts of my fellow ridiculous friend (ridiculous in a good way, of course)...
http://redheadrumination.blogspot.com/2010/10/tyler-clementi.html

Although I attend an institution with founded by Christian Brothers/religious roots, I am glad that our college refuses to tolerate harassment and discrimination based on sexual orientation (despite the behind-the-back mumbles & passive as well as blatant views of some of the students on campus).

The college's Harassment & Discrimination Policy reads as so...


 It is the policy of *********** that no member of the College community shall engage in harassment and/or discrimination. The College will not tolerate behavior between or among members of the College community that creates an unacceptable working, educational, or social environment. 

Harassment and discrimination are unacceptable because they interfere not only with an individual’s educational or work performance, but also with a person’s sense of dignity and well-being in the community. Sexual harassment is also covered in this definition. What constitutes harassment or discrimination will vary with the particular circumstances. Either type of activity may be described generally as verbal, physical, written, or other conduct that denigrates or shows hostility or aversion to an individual on the basis of gender, race, color, religion, age, national origin, ethnicity, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability or any basis prohibited by law when, from the standpoint of a reasonable person, such conduct is unwelcome and substantially interferes with an individual’s work or school performance, creating an intimidating, hostile, or offensive working or learning environment even if the person engaging in the conduct does not intend to interfere, intimidate, or be hostile or offensive. In addition, the conduct must be sufficiently severe, persistent, or pervasive in that it creates a hostile or abusive educational or working environment. 

It is important to note that a one-time incident may rise to the level of harassment if such conduct is sufficiently severe. 


Our college also has a Gay/Straight Alliance Club on campus, which is actually more visible than it was in previous years. I say this because I didn't know my college had a Gay/Straight Alliance until last year. This coming week is Coming Out Week (I know this because of the publicity the club is posting around the Student Union, which is how a club is supposed to inform the college community. Good on you).

I'm sure others will have their own opinion on the situation and they are entitled to them as I am entitled to write whatever I want on MY blog. But when it comes down to it, it's hard to find a news story about how a straight person was killed or harassed for being straight to the point of suicide. Even if they were just being themselves - attracted to the opposite sex. The world is a diverse place, just like its residents. We come from different walks of life and that's not just including geography or ancestry. It includes life experiences and our own, unique sense of selves that no one else should project their opinions on*
*people who do that, force their opinions on others, are people I can say that I DO hate. Or highly dislike if I want to sound less harsh. 

At the same time, people who have enough energy to harass and discriminate others clearly do not have a good sense of their own selves. It's kinda obvious that if you waste your time caring about how others act, than you're not as exciting and cool as you hype yourself up to be. Because you're too busy being concerned with others and not yo dirty self. Sorry, folks who do that.

So despite what Thom Yorke likes to say about himself, you are NOT a creep, nor are you a weirdo. So go on, and be who you wanna be and like who you wanna like :)

Listen to the Scala & Kolacny Brothers "Creep" cover used in The Facebook Movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axrqVfuGHh0

No comments:

Post a Comment