Sunday, January 23, 2011

Train Humor

Last night when I was on my way back to New Gross, I had this drunken fear of getting sick. I hate getting nauseous and always kick myself in the butt for drinking sometimes when this happens. The conductor was in good spirits last night, especially when dealing with other drunk idiots. It may have been possible that he kicked back a few beers or swigged a flask full of happy juice before gathering tickets.

I made sure to be courteous even though I didn't feel well. I enjoy it when people are really friendly so I try to make the same effort to be friendly back. I think I better get along with strangers than people I actually know.

He came by our car once again, joking around with the group sitting behind me. When a conductor gathers tickets, they sometimes hole-punch these little stubs of paper to remind themselves of where each person is going and that they paid. He came by with two this time and hole-punched the shit out of them and gave them both to me...

"You look like this (on left)...when you should be looking like this (on right)," he said smiling to me. He must have noticed my fear of puking and wanted to brighten my evening...er, early morning. I was so touched by this act of kind humor that I almost cried...but this may have been because I was slightly intoxicated. Luckily, I didn't get sick. Phew!

No comments:

Post a Comment