Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Comparing Skin(tones)

If you haven't been keeping up with MTV, they have been promoting this new show called Skins for quite some time. It debuted about two Mondays ago in their 10pm spot. It's an American version of the UK hit show, which has five seasons already. If you're not familiar with it, it's basically about young, high school students doing not so high school consistent activities. Yeah, they are involved in extra curricular activities but they are more along the lines of drugs, sex, and heavy drinking. And I'm pretty sure the drinking age in America is still 21.

After much googling of "how to open a link in a new window" I finally mastered it. You see, when you click on a link in my posts, it opens in the same window as the blog so you have to click 'backspace' or 'delete' to go back to my blog to read it. But when I can't find embedded files to plug into my blog so you can simply view them in the post or the embed files have been disabled for some reason, I would rather have the link open up in a new window so you can go back to my blog and read while you listen or watch the video. And that's your Computer Science 101 lil' tip. Genius. Me. Yes.

But take a look at both trailers. Obviously, they will be similar considering the US version of the show is following a very similar story line with similar characters as seen in the UK version.

UK Trailer (click dis and you will be taken to new window paradise!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlSaMD9Slio

Raunchy, huh?

However, as you can see, the trailer for the American version had an embed code to plug in so you can view it within the blog itself, not having to go to different windows or be re-navigated to a different site in the same window as my glorious blog :)

US Trailer


 I don't think the US will add up to the raunchiness of the UK version. Clearly, America has different censorship laws than other countries. I do believe that other countries probably believe that there are far worse behaviors that don't compare to the antics displayed on the show. And they probably also think the public knows that these types of activities happen among demographics, preferably those of younger age groups. Have older generations accepted that times have changed? I always remember my dad telling me that the reason why I was getting sick in college was because I was, "passing that bowl around to all my friends when smoking pot" as he would say. Clearly, he isn't naive to typical, American college life. But I'm not saying he was right about why I was getting sick from the common cold. Ha.

A concern that I share with some other people my age is the fact that younger people, those in high school and maybe even middle school watch MTV. Will they watch the show and pick up what they see and think it's "cool"? It's no surprise that when I go shopping at the mall in my hometown I can't help but gawk in disgust at the young, prostitots (another term for "baby prostitutes" that my old roomie Kyle coined) roaming the malls in little wolf packs in their short mini skirts, heavy makeup, and training bras. God, I can't believe I thought I was that cool when I was younger.* Just because our parents unleashed us into the wild on our own we all of a sudden thought it was okay to act obnoxious and be loud and dumb and stupid in public. I mean, okay, maybe sometimes it's fun to let loose after a few cocktails or just goof off in your twenties but I'm obviously talking about a slighty more mature level of...goofiness. Ya dig?
*But of course, I didn't sport the heavy makeup...premature acne? Uhh no thanks

I'm kinda curious to know how successful this show will be. Will it be so popular that MTV will decide to promote a second season in the future? Will the previews for a future season lead up to more scandalous, teenage debauchery on a network that is slowly losing it's identity as MUSIC Television? I checked out an extended version of the UK's trailer for Season 2 and it seemed prettyyyy scandalous. Sex-driven teenagers high on things other than life. Woof. You wanna see? Click on the link...I'm too concerned that my blog will turn into a "Mature Audiences Only/Viewer Discretion Advised" type of blog. Well, maybe not yet ;) But for now, I don't want half-nekked youngins rolling around on my blog post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63LPH5al_tk

It's longer...so more room to gawk in awe at such behavior. Then again, who am I kidding? We're all crazy, dirty creatures. It's kind of artistic though, I have to admit.

I'm predicting that MTV would pull the show off the air after the third episode. I've only seen the first two. Guess I have to wait til next Monday to find out. You have to admit though, a show that airs at 10pm that is "for mature audiences only" is still too early considering kids make their own curfew nowadays or so it seems. Didn't FX teach anyone anything? Nip/Tuck (or what I like to call Nip/Fuck) used to be on at 11pm when I watched it. Yeah, that's right. I watched that show. There's something about arrogant, good-looking, plastic surgeons with fucked up personal lives that makes me coming back for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment