Saturday, January 15, 2011

Okay, I'm back.

Now I know I haven't been back to this in a while and I do greatly apologize. It's not like my life has gotten mad busy like it will be this coming spring semester (which starts this coming Wednesday - Tuesday for everyone else but Wednesday for me because I have my internship on Tuesdays & Thursdays).

Yeah, I got an internship :)

Any who, I have been working on campus, working out at the gym, seeing some familiar faces, spending heaps of time in my empty apartment, filling in as a babysitter for one of my roommates, and realizing how broke I am. Yeah, I have like no money to my name.

I had a conversation, er, venting sesh with a good friend of mine and told her via BBM...

Friend: What are you doing today
Me: Not a clue. Almost done at practice. I'll call ya after.
Friend: Let's do something, go somewhere!
Me: Lol yea as long as its cheap. Two of my cards got declined last nite. I called my mom panicking about my financial credit. True Life, I can't afford my collegiate lifestyle
Friend: Oh man, okay maybe not a good idea. I can't either* idk who I think I am
Me: Lol we both think we're paris hilton
*afford her own lifestyle


So, as a start we both went grocery shopping and I did what my mom told me to do (for a while now): budget. Easier said than done, considering the groceries I buy are healthful and tend to last me two weeks. I'm not used to buying food like my mom - whatever is on sale and feeds the family (which now only consists of her and my father since I'm at school) for a whole month, maybe more. Why the hell does healthy food have to be more expensive. Like really? Spinach? You have to cost more than a box of sugary cereal? Ugh.

"Okay, I have $20 to spend on groceries. That's it." - I said this to my friend going into a the local Shop Rite near school. I usually go to a closer grocery store near my apartment but I figured the extra .3 miles was worth the money I'd be saving on food.

While waiting in line to buy my "welfare food" as I called it, I got sad.
"Ugh, this stuff is so not healthy." I say.
"What are you talking about? This stuff is great!" my friend assures me.

I got one of those Saver Cards - you know, those little cards on your key ring that you scan before you pay for groceries and you end up saving like five bucks or so.

"I don't know if these groceries are gonna be twenty dollars," I said to my friend worried.
"Do you only have twenty dollars on you?" my friend asked.
"No, I have $35 cash but I only wanna spend $20. Budgeting, you know."
"Ohh, okay. You're gonna be fiiiiine. That's not gonna be more than twenty dollars."

So after taking out the 12-pack of Ramen noodles ($1.99) and 12-pack of Thomas' English Muffins ($2.49 - yeah, a fucking 12-pack, great deal BUT there's was like weird mold that I saw), I ended up spending only a dollar and some sense over my goal, so not bad. I got A LOT of grub that I hope to last me unless I spiral out of control of stress fest of stuffing my face because I have nothing better to do than sulk about how my life sucks.

I bought Double Fiber bread, peanut butter and jelly, 3 cans of tuna, 3 cans of veggies, 3 boxes of whole wheat pasta, sauce, parmesan cheese, buttery spread, 2 containers of yogurt, a half gallon of skim milk, a yam (to make sweet potato fries with) and a pack of pretzel M&M's (I got my period recently). All for around 21 dollars! Normally, all of that would probably cost me roughly $27 at the place I usually go to. Although I saved money, I had to cut out some of things I usually buy: carrots, hummus, avocados, turkey, whole wheat wraps, sliced cheese, leafy greens, almonds, and the like. Those things, the more healthful items, would cost a lot more than the amount of fiber and whole wheat items I bought today. Huff :( maybe I'll have better regularity with these? Whole wheat overload. I do not wanna be fat wahhhhhhh

No comments:

Post a Comment