Saturday, January 22, 2011

One week down...

Props to myself for surviving the first week of the semester. Actually, no props to me. I would have still been alive regardless of how the week panned out. But I'm glad to say that it wasn't too bad.

So far, I enjoy my classes, and my internship (which I survived), and I'm getting back into the swing of things with crew - the first practice was last Tuesday and we started off the season with a 15k. I finished third among the girls, only ten seconds behind the girl with the fastest time. I thought it'd be tough without my best friend there to suffer with me. I already warned Tor, the other biffle who is a coxswain and doesn't have to worry about the strenuous activity like the rest of us do, that I will have those days where I'll say to her, "I don't know if I can do this." "But you're going to and you can," she said to me. "Oh, I know...I'm just warning you now that I will most likely say that to you when crew gets tough sometimes," I said back, especially with part-time work on campus, my internship, and classes.

My hands are in pain from erging. The blisters and tenderness of the skin on my fingers makes it tough sometimes to grip things like the steering wheel, the erg (duh), and long hard shafts...when we practice rowing in the tank ;) I'm single so I don't have to worry about holding anyone's hand, even though I wouldn't mind having a hand to hold here and there :\

But the week has ended. I'm going to the city tonight to see some long lost study abroad biddies. I've missed them so. Earlier today we had a relay race at practice: 12k. Each team of two had to complete 3k, 2k, 1k, interchanging with their partners. Afterwards, we were timed on a race through the parking garage. For my first relay of the season, we finished third. I know I'll improve overtime if I keep up with the workouts and stay in shape along with eating healthy and straying away from the binge drinking. Besides, I need to budget, so buying bottle after bottle of wine and handles of vodka won't really help me. On occasion it will be nice to have some fun. Drink Responsibly, you know?

Highlight (?)
I told my friend that I would register to do a 10-mile run with her in May in Philly. So maybe training for that will also help me with crew and maintaining good shape. I also told the same friend I'd register to do a 65-mile bike ride with her family. I'm just all about these long distance strenuous activities. Go me.

No comments:

Post a Comment