Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Aww noi, you reckon they knoiw how to make golden showehs?

A humorous preview for the post...


Too bad I'm not in Oz to celebrate it :( And there's a horrid blizzard outside. I'm on campus writing this because we still had classes. The snow didn't start coming down until this morning. Huff.

January 26th marks an important day for Australians...Australia Day. Captain Arthur Phillip landed in Port Jackson, which is located in present-day Sydney on this day in 1788. Upon landing, the first white settlers claimed Australia for the British Empire. Formal celebrations of Australia Day were not recorded until 1808 but it was still a day to recognize. Initially, the day was to commemorate a primarily white Australia but has now flourished into a national celebration of Australian multiculturalism and social diversity within the country. (This information was retrieved from the Australiaday.com.au website). 

I could go on and give you a full fledged history lesson but I think I'll abstain considering this is not a historical blog, simply involving little tidbits here and there. The day is usually celebrated with official events like speeches, fireworks, concerts and the like. Other ways include barbecues (or "sausage sizzles"), parades, going to beaches, drinks at a pub...pretty much what normal Aussies do on any given day. I'm only saying that because when I was down undah, I had no classes on Thursdays and weather permitting, I would "study" while I laid on the beach soaking up a nice Aussie tan. I would also see students going to the local bar around the corner from my house having a few drinks in between classes. Completely normal and appropriate if I may say so myself.

SIDENOTE
I'm so nice. This morning I found some girl's jump drive in the computer lab. I found out who it belonged to, e-mailed the owner, and brought the jump drive up to the Building Manager manning the desk. Also, while writing this, some dude behind me had a cell phone that kept ringing. Everyone was looking at him not saying anything but just staring hoping he'll turn the fucking thing off. He clearly had headphones on so I turned around and did one of those "Hang ten, bra" surfer mannerisms to let him know his phone was ringing. He said thanks. I kinda felt good when I was clearly the only one comfortable telling him to turn his fucking phone off but in a nice, considerate way. Because I'm nice.

Anywho, the biffle nugg suggested we celebrate the day last night since she'll be lame and grown up tonight (she has some business/internship/foot in the door/climb the ladder of success gathering to go to tonight). Of course she's probably gonna find a way to celebrate it with people who probably didn't go to Australia with her...aka not me baha. Her suggestion for last night was to put on our old footy jerseys and watch the movie Australia. But I opted to blog about Skins and she opted to watch Tosh.0. We're so friendly toward one another.

My ideal way of celebrating Australia Day would be to wear said footy jersey, wrap the Australian flag around my neck as a cape, drink Bundy on the rocks (even though I hate it - Bundaburg - Australian rum...ick), wash it down with some nice Golden Showers (bomb-like shots - drop a shot of Galliano into sparkling lemonade, something one can't easily find in Amuuricah, then chug), a barbecue (indoors, of course if I'm celebrating the day in Amuuricah), put on a footy game, and hang out with good company. That day will come. 

My friend suggested I put this funny convo into today's post since it's "related" to Australia day. Just for you, my dear...
Me: Jeez a lot of our social circle is getting sick. Not okay*
Katie: Groiss
Me: R u saying that with an australian accent? lol or did u just mispell it
Katie: Hahahaha sure I was. You can blog about australia day and how I used an "australian" accent haha
Me: Haha duhhh
*We both are included in the sick bunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment