Friday, January 28, 2011

Snowkyo Drift

According to Urbandictionary.com, the term "drifting" is defined as so:

To cause a vehicle to exceed it's tires' limits of adhesion, exhibiting a lateral slip, resulting in an oversteer condition.

If the above definition is still something you can't understand then I hope this scene from the movie Fast & the Furious 3: Tokyo Drift helps...



Last night after the basketball game, Frump, Cahones, & Daly wanted to do "donuts" at the Glen Island parking lot, which is where we row during the fall and spring months. Daly being an extreme sports kinda dude went the night before last and said it was a blast. I've never went drifting or attempted to try, even though my rear-wheel drive vehicle Sheila liked to stick her back end out on a turn down my street when the road was covered in snow and was super slick that one time. I'd like to think I handled that turn rather well and under composure.

I thought I might as well experience it. And it seemed fun. Of course snow drifting wouldn't be exactly the same as normal street drifting but it still had the same concept. We arrived to the parking lot and Daly, who drives a Honda Ridgeline, was already starting. Apparently when he came the night before there was already a track made by someone else. Frump put his Jeep (named Baby) into 4-wheel drive and followed Daly's tracks. The first few times around were pretty bumpy, considering we didn't really know what we were driving over because the ground was completely covered in several inches of snow.

I was giggling in the backseat as Baby slid side to side through the tracks. After a bunch of times around, both vehicles made the track less snowy but still slick enough to slide on. Great fun with the boys. I don't mind being the only girl doing things like this. I think I've mentioned before that I like to try new things and experience things I've never done before. This doesn't mean I'll shove apples up my butt* but you know.
*This connotation derives from an inside joke between my roommate Gi and I. Don't ask.

Upon leaving the parking lot we wanted to do a grand finale of drifts. When leaving the island, there's a turn leading to a bridge where cars enter and exit the island. After the horrendous snow storm that hit a majority of Northeast came through, this turn was certainly smothered in the white stuff but it looked slick enough to do a massive donut turn. And it was greatness. There wasn't too much snow so it didn't go slow and bumpy, but the perfect amount of powder on the semi-wet pavement that made the car go smooth sailing. 

That night when I went to bed, even though I was laying completely still, it felt like I was in the car moving side to side in the Jeep as it drifted through snow-ridden tracks.*

*Shit, how poetic was that ending, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment