Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Horrid Commute with a Bright Side?

The unpredictable weather also causes for some unpredictable setbacks, especially when commuting to and from work. In my case, it was going to work (my internship, actually) that sucked. Not only am I emptying my pockets to travel to the big city with the big cats who work for pay - as well as other interns (I saw them at the train station), but I'm also running all over hell and creation it seems. Everyone is in a hurry and I am too...no matter how much leverage time I give myself. But I love it - this hurrying and this rush through the city. I feel important, like I have to be somewhere for an important meeting or to finalize a huuuuge deal. But I'm not there yet. I'm just in a hurry because I don't want to make a bad impression on my superiors and be known as someone who is irresponsible and lacks punctuality...is that even a word?
No worries, though. The place I'm interning at is chill; it's a pretty small office, and the people are friendly. I don't think it was a big deal that I came late. Meh, what can ya do? Fuck the subway system.

The detail of such a commute:

I got into Grand Central at 830am. The train ride in was great for two reasons: a) I went in with my friend Katie so it was nice to have some company* and b) the train ride in was free! I love how conductors sometimes don't check for train tickets.
*She didn't have to be at her internship til 9am either but I have to take a subway downtown to get to mine. She's right in Times Square. I felt like a little kid going to Kindergarten for the first time as she walked with me to the subway terminal :)


I go down into the subway terminal and see this disgusting traffic of people waiting for the 4 and 6 trains downtown. Woof. Just my fucking luck. Of course my internship runs along one of the busiest, if not the busiest, subway line. The snowfall outside - it wasn't sticking but it sucked to walk through - must have caused large traffic underground. The lady over the intercom was telling people to take the 4 express train downtown to Union Square/14th Street and then transfer back uptown to get where they need to go. Really? Go downtown just to come back uptown? Ugh. Wtf. Luckily, I waited at the 6 train and one eventually came. I couldn't get on it so I waited another 8 minutes for the next only to realize that that train, too, was going all...the way...to Union Square. Trust me, I wasn't the only person pissed on that subway car. "Of course they tell us this when we're already on the train," one irritated passenger said aloud.

We go to Union Square, at this point I'm already fifteen minutes late but there's nothing I can really do about it. If I'm late I might as well just keep being late, you know? I rush up the stairs to get to the Uptown side to try to get on a 6 train going back uptown but that too was backed up like a constipated school teacher. I don't know what constipated school teachers look like but I'm using that reference regardless.
Absolutely horrendous.
All of us, probably hundreds of us, underground wait impatiently and annoyed for the 6 train that, when it finally comes, the lady over the intercom says it's only going to 42nd Street/Grand Central. Great. Right back to the starting point where I was in the first place. At this point I say, Fuck it, and just walk the 9 blocks by 1 long avenue all the way to where I'm supposed to be. It took me less than ten minutes (because of my mastery of waste-no-time/on-a-mission speed walking) and it wasn't a big deal that I was a half hour late but it sucked to walk in the cold, when it's snowing, AND I'm getting sick.*
*Mind you, when I was interning today, I was sitting at the front desk and I coughed but covered my mouth with my fist. One of the guys who worked there, who I haven't met yet, introduced himself and I shook his hand with said fist. Oops. 

On the bright side, lunchtime was the highlight of my day. As said in my BBM status...
"I defied and conquered Greek yogurt...sorta {happy dance smiley emoticon}"

Delish
The sorta part was due to the fact that it was flavored Greek yogurt...the plain shit I don't think I'd be able to stomach without gagging.

However, this wasn't the authentic kind like Fage or Chobani brands. The biffle nugget suggested I try this kind first since I was really hesitant about breaking into the Greek yogurt trend: Yoplait Greek with 2 times the amount of protein as ordinary yogurt. That's a lot of protein.

This stuff was so good! Super creamy but I didn't feel guilty eating it considering it was only 160 calories and it held me over until dinner 6 hours later. I had no desire to snack. Man, I love protein.
Another highlight to lunch was the throwback beverage circa grade school: Caprisun :) I bought a box at Shoprite for about two dolla. It was on sale and ten pouches fo' two dolla is a bargain. I felt like a little kid at my internship. I kinda hid the juice pouch behind the computer so no one would see it and think I'm some angelic, fragile, goodie two shoes. I'm a muthafuckin' bitch yo!
Throwback!...Slammin'
Maybe next week I'll bring some fruit snacks...or Dunkaroos! Speaking of roos, tomorrow is Australia Day. Whoo hoo! Break out that Bundi and put on some footy. Meh, don't have neither because I'm not there anymore. I miss that country. Until tomorrow.

1 comment: