Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Neighboring obscure countries breed the best musical duos.

There are two prime examples of musical talent residing from the Scandinavian Peninsula. Although quite odd and lowly populated, Norway and Sweden know how to strike the ear buds of music gurus throughout the world. I wouldn't say I have a favorite genre of music. I listen to anything that strikes my fancy and I mean anything.

I heard Röyksopp's "What Else Is There?" on Pandora while I was at work. Even though I was in the middle of some work, I could still hear how awesome the song was. It was different. And when I went to download it earlier today, the music video eerily struck my interest. I couldn't help but watch it!

 
Creepy shit.

The Hood Internet did a sick mashup between Lil Wayne's "Comfortable" & Röyksopp's "Happy Up Here" called Comfortable Up Here. Quite a marriage and it was a good one at that.

The second example of awesome/weird/interesting/cool electronic sauce is the duo The Knife. This duo consists of a brother and sister. But these siblings aren't strumming guitars and playing the drums like The White Stripes. This duo did not perform live until 2006 (even though they were established in 1999). They sport Venetian masks, sometimes with bird beaks, and do not perform outside of their home country and do not attend award shows despite winning numerous awards. Fuck.

Although they have an official music video for "Heartbeats", a song that has been covered in the past (and I've blogged about it before - it was used in a Sony commercial with lots of bouncy balls!), I feel that a live performance would definitely do them justice. So unique but the lights are show in itself.


And if Karin Dreijer Andersson's voice sounds familiar, it's because she has done a solo project under the name Fever Ray. Check out the video for When I Grow Up...only if you dare.

No comments:

Post a Comment