Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Life post-first (2) days of work

So far, I've been 9-to-5ing for two days. I mean, I've worked longer shifts at the gym in Delaware that I used to work at, but I had a break in between to work out and shower before my next shift. And that gym didn't come with benefits and 401k shit. This job also wasn't like my internship where I took out the trash on my way out. Oh, and the IT guy is hilarious.

The people were friendly and my boss is pretty cool. It's a quiet office with a nice kitchen and legit office-like atmosphere. I even get my own cubicle! Along with benefits, I have my own phone extension, and the receptionist (who is the kindest, sweetest lady I've ever come across) is ordering me a name plate for my cubicle. I have a lovely view next to the window. I also have one of those scannable "key fobs" to get in and out of the office. There's even a fitness center on the ground floor of the office (and the office is in a nice office complex - like a neighborhood for office buildings). I have free parking next to the building too!

The commute is reasonable. 20 minutes getting there, 30 minutes getting back since I leave during rush hour.

I'm learning the ins and outs of my position. Figuring out what the previous person left for me and trying to pick up how to do things as I go. Luckily, the work wasn't all thrown on me without learning how to do things. I know I'll come across slow days and there will be a fair share of busy ones. There will be stressful days and fun ones. I'll probably make mistakes and wanna hide in my cubicle. Hey, I made the mistake of going to the wrong co-worker about something. I got her name wrong. "I'm not          " she said. "Oh, yeah...I'm sorry..." God, I'm embarrassing.

But I guess this is the portion of my blog that goes from my senior year of college and all of the riducilousness of that chapter to my first year of working in the real world. It'll be full of the similar ups and downs that I experienced in college, just with a workplace twist. I shall still keep my lovely miniscule amount of followers updated on the stupid things going on in my life regularly. However, I will be maintaining where I work in confidence with no one but...myself. I will not be using names of co-workers, or the company name for that matter. I just got this job. I'm not trying to lose it. Especially since it comes with paid vacation days and free dental benefits :)

No comments:

Post a Comment