Thursday, June 2, 2011

Learning how to be Assertive...Grr

Looking at the previous Marketing Assistant's e-mails to different vendors and contacts gave me the idea of how to communicate with these people now that she's gone. Initially, I'm rather kind and patient upon waiting for a response from the people I need to be in contact with. However, playing the waiting game has not always been my forte, despite that fact that I'm forced to wait on a lot of things (a steady, drama-free relationship, paying off overdue bills, losing a few lbs. - but the last takes A LOT of effort on my part...I'm quite lax with that one).

I've started "following-up"* with contacts, by putting the phrase "Please advise" at the end of the e-mails.
*"following-up" meaning jumping down their throats after not getting a response from them in the first place. But gracefully, you know? I'm not about to say, "Listen asshole, you still have NOT replied to my numerous e-mails. When I said ASAP I meant it. I didn't mean in a few days so you can think it over. I meant NOW! How hard is it to do your job?! Huff! Get back to me or die." 

I've noticed that I'm getting more readily responses after writing "Please advise." I felt like a bitch the first time I used it when I didn't get pertinent information regarding a conference. But then I got a response ten minutes later!

I found this article on how to improve one's business writing and how the term "Please advise" can turn into a habit.

Am I beginning to turn into a Power Bitch? In due time, maybe. I'll be able to answer phone calls without being too timid to give a shit about who hears me and deal with sales calls with ease. But for now, I still insist on ending my e-mails with my usual "Kind regards," accompanied by my fancy schmancy signature I'm required to put at the end of work e-mails. I'm suuuuuch a grownup.

Kind regards,

Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment