Saturday, March 12, 2011

One week.

[[I wrote this at work yesterday morning, then got caught up talking to some pals, then had actual work to do for my superiors before I was done my shift. So just assume that this was posted yesterday, Friday, March 11th]]

Since being back at school, I am RELIEVED that the week has ended...sort of. Or, at least I got over the humps that I've been dreading, preparing myself to deal with.

My grandmother passed away a week ago from yesterday. It's still a little new, like a fresh wound that has to scab over and heal. So, in a sense, I'm that wound trying to scab over and heal.

The weekend was rough, kind of awkward: not knowing how to console some of my family members, being on the outs with my dad, just dealing with loss in general. Monday night was her viewing, which was tough. I remember seeing her casket from far away and just thinking, I don't wanna go over there. I don't wanna see her. My aunt was a wreck - my Mommom was her best friend and they did so much together: shopping, traveling, laughing, so many things. Seeing my step-grandpa cry was new to me. He truly loved her and he sat near her casket for majority of the viewing.

I was even shocked to see my Grandpa, Mommom's ex-husband. He came to both the viewing and the Mass/burial the next day. I assumed he would come to one or the other. But as my mom said, "That was the mother of his children, you know...so it makes sense that he shows his sympathy."

As more and more people showed up to the viewing, I realized how loving my Mommom was. She never dislike anyone and made a new friend wherever she went. She was actively involved in her local library and church. She was a happy, vibrant woman who could strike up a conversation with even the crabbiest of people, who would grow to love her too. She was caring and always made sure that you were comfortable and always knew what to make of those random canned goods in her cupboard.

I got to finally meet two of Mommom's best friends at her viewing. At separate times, they each came up to me and said, "I know exactly who you are...Anne told us all about you. She was so proud of you..." I broke down. Lost it. I could hardly get out "Thank you" without crying. One of them, Iva, came over and hugged me and just held my hand while she told my mom and I how much Anne spoke of me and my achievements. Her other friend Mickey greeted me in a similar way. She had a hard time talking though because she missed Mommom a lot and like it was for us, it was shocking to find out of her passing so suddenly.

So for two hours at the viewing, I cried, struggled with the new eye makeup I put on, wiping the corners of any smudges. My mom and I drove back to Wilmington while my dad stayed down in Greenwood with my aunt and other family members.

The next day was her Mass of Christian burial. I got to see my second cousin who I don't really talk to much or see, considering he lives in Denver now. I also got to see my uncle and cousin who came down from upstate New York. Mass was held at her favorite church that she always went to every week. It was a small, quaint Church close to her house. After the Mass, we began the procession to the burial. I've never been involved in one of those before: with the flashing hazard lights and brights on following car after car. It was brief and different than usual - no dirt was dropped onto her casket, we didn't see it lowered into the grave. I saw this huge concrete cover laiden in light bronze paint that would cover the top of the crypt. Before it was finished, we each put a flower on her casket, then proceeded to the Fire Hall for the reception that was held by some of her friends who made food for everyone.

The reception was awkward but nice. They made lots of down home cookin': Corn pudding, ham, lima beans, baked pineapple, sweet potatoes, and some yummy desserts. I caught up with some family I haven't seen, got to know Mommom's friends a little better, networked with a second cousin :), spoke to my dad. All before going back up to Wilmington an hour or so away to pack my car up for another two and a half hour drive to New Gross. But I think I was ready. I needed to get back into the swing of things and catch up on what I've missed, which was only three classes but I missed A LOT of practice/erging, which showed on Wednesday...

No comments:

Post a Comment