Sunday, March 13, 2011

Additional Hell Week Notes

[[I'm clearly tired from two-a-days, which is why these added Wednesday highlights, er, lowlights were not posted til now]]

So Wednesday came and I was dreading it. On top of a 9:30am midterm that I barely studied for, but I had a 2k test to make up after missing it on Tuesday. I was NOT mentally nor physically prepared for it. I knew I wasn't. All I knew was that I was going to do no matter what. There was no point to putting it off any longer and I just wanted it over with so I wouldn't have to deal with worrying about it later.

My coach and Tor both agreed that I hit a wall. They both coxed me through it and where I hit my wall was at the 750 meter mark. I could not recover from that wall. I missed my PR by 4 seconds and to me that was a lot. But what can ya do, right? I told myself whatever the outcome, I'm gonna deal with it. And I did. I'm not fazed by my results at all. I'll just have to make up for it on the next test.

Thursday was bad from the start. The e-mail system was down in the office - no incoming or outgoing e-mails, and the guy that interns the same day with me didn't show up and I became aware that he would no longer he coming in when my supervisor told me he's not going to intern there anymore due to "family reasons." No matter what the reasons were really due to, I knew I'd be manning the desk BOTH days I intern, which means I'm on trash duty on both days and I have to answer phones and listen to really bad feedback where I can't understand the person on the other end. Huff!

Oh, and the phones were sucking much more than usual on Thursday. The transfer button decided to stop working so I had to take numerous messages and tell a guy to take two calls at the reception desk. And since the e-mail system wasn't working on top of that, I was getting more phone calls then usual. Awesome.

They have this thing every other week where employees pitch ideas to the CEO. My supervisor encouraged the interns to take part in this event as well. I would have worked on my idea with my partner, the guy who ended up quitting, but I was home all last weekend for my Mommom and had no time or energy to give our pitch idea any thought. He said we would work on it when I return but since he's not coming back I guess its up to me to see this idea through. On my own. In a room full of employees and the CEO. All of whom probably don't take me seriously because I'm an intern. But while I worked the reception desk, I could see the huuuuge crowd of people in the conference room, two people who were interns and did awesomely on their presentations. How can I compete with that? Eh. I didn't really hear much about their presentations, considering the door was closed and the new miniature schnauzer running around the office was playing with his chew toy. This was the time of day where I said to myself, Maybe I'm not right for the Advertising industry. I just wanna go away and volunteer abroad or sell churros on the beach. I don't mind public speaking - in front of those I know well or am comfortable in front of or when I know what I'm talking about. But there are those times where I feel intimidated and don't really know what to say, forcing me to bullshit with humor or sarcasm. That usually works. Sometimes.

VHATEVA! I'm building my bridge and getting over it. When I came home, I had a quick night class to sit through then went home and crashed.

Some highlights about Thursday...

  • I forwarded two dated articles to a woman I work with at my internship. Despite being 3-4 years old, the articles were "stupendous!" according to her. I'm glad I was able to do something right.
  • I kinda lied about getting certain information for one of the guys in the office. He asked me if so-and-so said what company she called from. She did, but the fucking phone sucked and I couldn't really understand what it was called after I asked her twice. I said no, she didn't say it. The guy told me to always ask what company and what not. So I bounced back from that karma-induced fib set back thinger and the next message I got for him, I got the company name along with the other info and he said, "There ya go! Thanks!"
  • The intern that always works upstairs and never has to work the reception desk took the trash out upstairs so I didn't have to :)
  • There was a bunch of trash that hadn't been taken out so I took a few trips back and forth down the elevator to take it out. And my supervisor said I was "the best!" I guess hearing compliments here and there put me in a good mood. 
  • I think the new miniature schnauzer, which belongs to the CEO, likes me :) He didn't bite me yet and he hasn't barked at me after never seeing me before that Thursday. 
I won't be interning this week due to two-a-day practices for rowing. Yummyyyy. I can concentrate on working out multiple times, being exhausted allllll day, and getting fresh calluses and blisters on my paws. Oh, and being m-effing sore out the ying yang. Oh well, this is my third "spring break" at Glen Island and it's pretty fun overall. Who needs to get shitty on a beach in 70 degree heat when the wind can blow boats over to the opposite side of the course and there's geese shit all over the place? And don't forget that wind/sun burn too! A night cap is usually needed at the end of each day. 

And I say I've done this three times considering my only spring break during my collegiate experience occurred in that beautiful country Australia :) God I miss it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment