Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Food stories.

Not only am I turning into the worst blogger ever, but I'm falling behind with these posts! I'll think of something I wanna blog about. Then I'll get too tired or busy to post it, then forget about it. Then accumulate massive amounts of pictures on my phone, I'll have to shove them all into one post. Like I am right now.

It's late and I have much to share with my beloved followers, or soon to be ex-followers if I keep going on with this dry spell. What's so great is that I finally got a memory card for my phone.* Since I take so many pictures with it, and post them in my blog, it only made sense to get one. Plus, it allows me to film videos. Mmmmm even better. Once I find a geeky, computer science way of posting VIDEOS from my phone to my blog, lo and behold shit will get interesting :)
*Remember that sad time last semester when my shit got stolen at practice? Yeah, bye bye memory card with so many great videos and pictures. I hate thinking about it. SO MANY GREAT VIDEOS. Ugh. One of which included my getting sprayed with pepper spray by the biffle nugget. I wanted to see what it felt like, which was a hot sun burn/indian burn on my forearm for three days straight.
I'll try to do this in order...
Last week
As I've said before, I like to try new things. I've crossed the Greek yogurt bridge and survived and even grew to like it. So I thought, hmm why not try ICELANDIC yogurt, or what they call skyr (pronounced skEER). I don't even think it's yogurt. It's a dairy culture product strained like yogurt but is often described as a soft cheese. Cheese yogurt? Eh. As you can see, it was supposed to be flavored like pomegranate & passion fruit. I opened the container and see white yogurt-like culture. Hmm...is the flavored/fruit stuff at the bottom? I understand the simplicity of the packaging, which was part of the reason why I bought the product. And I also thought maybe Icelandic skyr would be the new Greek yogurt. It's has a watery texture like normal yogurt; not as thick as the Greek stuff. I spooned the bottom to see if there was any fruit compote. Nil. I stir it around and try a little bit on the spoon. NO. NO. ABSOFUCKINGLUTELY NOT. Jules, don't gag. Jules, don't gag. JULES, DON'T GAG is what I thought. I sat in that booth in the cafeteria by myself trying to stay composed and not draw attention to myself. $2.50 down the drain. Icelandic skyr: Never again. 

Sunday night
Who needs to go to Starbucks, when your roommate has Chai mix at home? 8 ounces of hot milk and three tablespoons of Chai mix, with some whipped cream on top, makes for some cozy, frothy goodness. The whipped cream ran out so it was simply a nice foggy touch to the exotic spiced elixir underneath. I should be a food columnist with these spiffy words I'm throwing out there. "Exotic elixir". I deserve to be punched in the face.

Earlier tonight (Tuesday)
Unbeknownst to me, March 1st marks National Pancake Day and to celebrate, IHOP's around the country give out free short stacks to all its visitors. My friend Katie, one of my traveling buddies to the city when I intern as well as a beloved and dear friend of mine for several of my collegiate years, mentioned this to me. We both agreed that today was such a blah day - we didn't wanna be at our internships, we were exhausted, and we just wanted the day to be over so we could get out of the offices. For some odd reason we thought today was Fat Tuesday aka Mardi Gras. According to old tradition Fat Tuesday was celebrated the Tuesday before Ash Wednesday where everyone could indulge in things that they would get rid of during the season of Lent. We certainly indulged on our twin date: Two short stacks each with a side of turkey sausage and a glass of water. Mmmm heaven :) and we only paid for the side of sausage and tip for our lovely waitress.
After dinner...
Katie & I went along with this Fat Tuesday theme (literally) and capped the night off with dessert...at Red Mango. I did something different with my fro-yo this time: I kinda mixed the shit up so it wasn't all sitting on the top, leaving the bottom fro-yo naked and alone. I guess I could've called this concoction "My Fat Tuesday Uh Oh": A swirl of White Peach & Coconut with Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, Raspberries, Heath Toffee bits, and wet nuts.

I called it the "Uh Oh" because we both found out midway through our sundaes that Mardi Gras didn't start til NEXT Tuesday. Huff. It was still a great night and much needed. We be some busy bees with lots of stuff on our minds and jam-packed schedules. We merely were training for the actual Fat Tuesday, which we will dominate next week. Plans pending. Besiiiiiiides....we went to the gym before this epic adventure anyways. Ha.

No comments:

Post a Comment