Friday, March 4, 2011

My Senior Speechur

Last weekend was the Annual Rowing Banquet. Alumni rowers, family, and friends of us rowers come out on this Saturday night in February to celebrate our college's Rowing family and success. It's always great to see the families of our teammates and alumni we've missed. So much support and fun and good times. Captains and seniors give speeches. And this year, the banquet was quite crowded. I spoke eloquently and with poise...surprisingly. Names have been taken out to secure the identity of the institution and members of said institution. I know I'm not saying anything shitty, but I'm not sure if they would want their names in my blog. Except Tori. She thrives on the publicity she receives here. Areas with brackets are personal notes for me as I said the speech. Here's my speech:

Good evening,

First off, I would like to thank everyone for joining us tonight. It's great to see familiar faces who have been part of the team and continue to be part of the team through their never-ending support year after year. It is also great to see several new faces who have become part of the XXXXXX Rowing family. Through donations, fundraisers, and the support we receive at races, you are all an important entity to this team and college.  

I would like to thank the alumni who continue to be great mentors and friends to us all. It's always great to see them and know that this team played an important role in their life at XXXXXX College. I would also like to thank the coaches who continue to push us to our limits and reassure us that we are stronger than we think, especially in the weight room. Thank you to Brother XXXXXX, who's constant support and moderation of our team keeps XXXXXX College Rowing intact and ever-growing as years progress. Along with what Tori said, I'd like to thank former coaches XXXXXX and XXXXXX who I've had the opportunity to work with in the past. They played an important part in my becoming an XXXXXX College rower. And I owe a lot of my improvements and successes to them both. 

Thank you to all of the parents, not only for cheering us on at the finish line but also for encouraging us in our athletic and academic endeavors. Although some of us including myself, do not live close to home, it's still a good feeling knowing our families are supporting us from far away. You're remembered in spirit and your generosity never goes unnoticed. And as a sidenote to all of the parents, you mean a lot more to us than just being the caterers at our races. The fruit, drinks, and bagels are greatly appreciated by us all. [[Emphasize bagels w/Delawarian accent]]

And finally I'd like to thank my fellow teammates. You all have shown a tremendous amount of drive and passion for the sport. You continue to impress me with your improvements on the erg and I have no doubt that you will constantly strive to achieve your personal goals both on and off the water. You truly are an amazing group of young athletes with all of the potential in the world to become the future of XXXXXX College Rowing. I am very fortunate that I am able to see this team grow in many different ways even when I, myself was a novice rower four years ago. 

So with our sights set on this coming spring season on the water as well as getting out of that tank room, let's surpass the goals we set for ourselves and show everyone - coaches, alumni, our families and friends - that being a part of this team is what makes our college experience worthwhile and something to be proud of. Let's go get 'em this season and show everyone who's boss. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment