Saturday, April 30, 2011

Dock Speech.

Today was my last day of rowing. I had my last race on our home course. My parents drove up to see me. Lots of family and friends came out. This would be the last race for Tor and I because Dad Vails, an uber competitive regatta in Philly conflicted with Senior Formal. And considering we sacrificed a lot of nights out for practices and races, we figured we couldn't end our last semester of college without one last hoo-rah with our fellow seniors. It's tradition for the seniors to say dock speeches down at the dock with the rest of the team once the races are finished. There were tears and laughs during this bittersweet moment.

Due to my severe sunburn and exhaustion (and I'm also getting ready to go out tonight), here is my dock speech that I struggled through (I started to cry after the first two sentences). Enjoy...I LOVE MY IC CREW TEAM :)


Dock Speech.

I never imagined myself standing here having to do this. And I think part of it was because I didn't want to ever imagine myself leaving this team. For me, this is kind of bittersweet because although I'm going to miss rowing with such an amazing and entertaining group of people, I know that I will leave knowing that this group of young athletes will continue to succeed long after I'm gone.

There are so many memories that I can't even begin to reminisce about. Through ups and downs, laughs and tears, blister after blister, my time spent with XXXX XXXXXXX Rowing has been more than just a sport for me. It'sa family. Being part of a team full of unique personalities that surprisingly mesh well is truly amazing and I will continue to remember that long after I graduate.

My past coaches Kelly & Jamie have instilled in me a love for the sport that has shown with my lasting dedication to this team. Lisa and Colleen helped me improve my technique and helped instill more confidence in myself and what I am capable of doing. I've also had the privilege to row with both outstanding athletes during my rowing career and the memories that we've shared I will never forget.

To the team, you are the reason why I've continued to row these past four years. If I hadn't had the opportunity to row with passionate, funny, good-hearted people, year after year, I probably wouldn't have been here today. You have continued to motivate me through rough practices, early mornings, and two-a-days. The camaraderie this team has is what truly makes us an amazing bunch to be around. And despite those practices that leave us frustrated, tired, and cranky, I've enjoyed working with each and every one of you. My fellow seniors both past and present – thank you for pushing me and motivating me when we were slowly being outnumbered by the rabid beasts also known as freshmen. Thank you for your assurance that I'd be okay being the only senior girl still rowing. And to my girls, I thought it would be difficult being the only senior rower on the girl's crew but you've certainly made the boat an enjoyable experience. I'm truly going to miss the inside jokes, hilarious practices, interesting conversations, crazy car rides, and red mango trips with my creatures.

You all have made an impact on not only my rowing career but my final year of college. Many people have questioned why I put my body, my time, and my hands through so much hard work when I could [quote-end-quote] “be doing something else with my life.” But if anything, this team has added so much, if not more, to my college experience than any Wednesday night at Beechmont. I'm truly going to miss rowing with all of you. You've taught me a lot of things and I hope I've left you with something good to remember about your college experiences. You have so much potential to do great things next season and I hope to see you all at future races where I'll be cheering for you from the side lines. This has been an unforgettable season and I'm glad I got to share it with you all. Go Gaels.  


Amazing season. No matter how many ups and downs, it was all worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment