Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Psh, gurlllll...

I think it's kind of funny how girls I went to high school with are now into music they used to not be crazy about or haven't heard of for that matter. I mean c'mon now, you're into Avicii and you went to Ultra in Miami and saw Swedish House Mafia? Are you fo' reallllll?! You spent all of high school listening to Howie Day and watched One Tree Hill. You went shopping in groups to the mall and hung out with the elite IN crowd that consisted of the really good-looking established male athletes from our sister school down the road (funny how our "sister school" was an all-boys Catholic prep school...holla atcha gurlll). You didn't really curse a lot accept for a few minor words like "hell," "damn", and "oh, sugar!" And when you drank, let me tell you, it was suuuuuch a big deal because you and your crew were cool enough to go down to Dewey (without your parents), build a fire on the beach and drink Peach Schnapps and drink Natty Ice. Didn't know this was that scene under the bleachers in Virgin Suicides...but okay. I'm such a bitch for categorizing "straight edge" chicks who I was friends with at a time in my life. I actually enjoyed their company and okay, fine I admit it - I watched One Tree Hill too. For a bit. But in no way, shape or form do I find Chad Michael Murray dreamy and hawt. He is a great-looking guy and very attractive but that sole fact makes me unattracted to him if that makes sense. Besides, I was wayyyy more into watching The O.C. Seth Cohen, I will forever adore your skinny jew-boy a$$.

Considering I always thought I was ahead of the curve listening to obscure artists and bands before the entire universe creamed their pants months later when their hit songs would blow up radio stations probably makes me speak this way. And in this tone. Again, apologies for crabby bitch tones. If I saw these people in person I probably wouldn't flat out say things like this to their faces. But maybe chuckle a bit, question their liking to a certain artist/band, and then say "Oh. Okay!"

But don't you ever feel remotely super cool when a song you loved months ago is only now becoming a popular single that everyone is playing on repeat? You just sit there and say nonchalantly/slightly (un)interested, like I do, "Oh, yeah...I put this on my iPod like months ago."

I think now I've let the whole Grr-I-knew-about-this-band/artist-before-you-did attitude subside a bit. But I just wanna make two things clear: I was listening to techno music wayyyy before I moved to New York! And everyone who is in love with Mumford & Sons can suck on my clam because the Port Lodge crew heard them wayyy before they were popular in the states!

There.

No comments:

Post a Comment