Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Does the Earth shake when it orbits the Sun?

Or maybe I have that the other way around.

Just a little bit ago, the Earth shook. This morning around 5am, an earthquake hit Colorado. A few hours after that an earthquake hit Richmond, VA.

We felt the earth shake in the office for a good ten seconds I'd say. I was kind of laughing from the confusion. You can't help but laugh at something when you don't know what's going on. "Did you feel that?" the girl in the cube next to me asked. "Hahahahah yeah! What is that?" I said. Then the IT guy came on the intercom telling us to evacuate the building.

The biffle nug, like the good ol' miss current event updater she is, felt the earth shake in New Gross (I work in White Plains). I texted her asking if she felt that and she freaked out saying she did. She filled me in with all the juicy deets via the news. Apparently, parts of NYC, North Carolina, South Carolina, Ohio, Massachusetts, and parts of upstate NY felt the tremor.

I asked some chick I knew who was working/shooting/being modelesque in the city if she felt the earth shake. "No," she responded. But that's probably only because she doesn't have feelings anyways.* According to other people in the city, they thought it was a terrorist attack and brought back sad memories of 9/11 (this is what the Biffle Nug was filling me in on as she watched the news...on my couch...while I was at work...ugh).
*clearly, I'm being passive aggressive, which I hate but oh well! It's therapeutic once in a while.

Luckily, no one was hurt she said. So let's just all thank the higher powers, whichever ones you believe in, that there were no casualties or injuries. And let's not start worrying about the following year. We don't need anymore end of the world scares.

PS: take a look at Twitter and Facebook. I've seen some funny posts referring to the tremors like...

"I don't get it...I just farted." (friend of my friend Tor)

"Is it too soon for Haiti or Japan jokes...?" (friend Anthony)

"I'm the only person in my office who didn't notice the earthquake because my jack-hammer of a leg is constantly shaking my entire cubicle." (the great Lisa O'Neill)

"I hate when something 'major' happens in the world because then it dominates my feed and everything gets really boring for a sec" (Ryan O'Connell).

"...we get it people." (Gi baby)

And I posted this on my friend's wall: "Your alive? Fantastic. I must say, the earth tremors are kind of funny. I was laughing at all of the confusion. For a minute I thought we were orbiting around the sun! Go figure. Let's order sushi tonight and creep on campus. K thanks."

No comments:

Post a Comment