Monday, November 25, 2013

Say Something

It only took me a few days too long to find out what a great song this is. Unfortunately it's sad...in a good way. I'm not sure if that makes sense: Things that are sad in a good way. I feel as if music is one of the few things that encompasses sad but beautiful pieces of art. Well, now I guess art could also be considered sad but beautiful. Whatever.

The song is pretty tragic, I'm not gonna lie. I watched the live performance on last night's AMAs and even I was on the verge of tears and it was the first time I heard the song. My roommate's mom actually cried watching it. I'm surprised I was able to hold it together. The lyrics basically explain the song - according to Tris McCall of New Jersey's The Star Ledger, "Axel’s narrator is delivering an ultimatum to somebody he doesn’t want to give up on, but feels that he has to for the sake of his own sanity. It’s left unclear why, but there are strong hints in the song that the person who is being addressed is addicted to something." Both members of A Great Big World, Chad Vaccarino and Ian Axel, were suffering from their own personal heartbreaks when working on the song together, so in a way it was sort of like therapy for them. 

It was kind of painful listening to the lyrics. The song is beautiful but the lyrics are just so fucking honest. I mean, how many times have you or someone you know been in a situation where you are really at your wit's end with someone but you can't give up on them? Or you refuse to give up on them? But what it really is doing is tearing you up inside, making you feel like your emotions are getting torn like little pieces of paper by some really frustrating child who won't stop tearing up those pieces of paper. It's like "Can you please, stop ripping up that paper? That's like my mind, body and soul you're tearing up right now and I have NO CLUE as to why you're doing that." All the while, the stupid kid won't listen nor will they stop smiling at your sadness. Okay, I got a little too carried away but how else can you explain that sort of pain. Like really? How?!

As painful as it is to love someone where you really don't benefit from the repercussions to follow, sometimes you really just have to put yourself first. And that...is really fucking scary. When you've done all you can and there's nothing you can do can help this person, whether it's an emotional struggle or physical ailment, you have to let go. And that's tough in many different degrees for everyone. It's really, frickin' tough. 

The music video (which you will be able to enjoy below, or maybe not so much enjoy) touches upon three different stories that the song can essentially be about: heartbreak, loneliness, and loss. Prepare to wipe your face because snot is going to come out of it when you cry at this number. And it's okay to think about your own life and relate to the song and feel a little sad after. You're allowed. Lyrics are underneath.


Say Something - A Great Big World & Christina Aguilera\

Say something, I'm giving up on you.
I'll be the one, if you want me to.
Anywhere, I would've followed you.
Say something, I'm giving up on you.

And I am feeling so small.
It was over my head
I know nothing at all.

And I will stumble and fall.
I'm still learning to love
Just starting to crawl.

Say something, I'm giving up on you.
I'm sorry that I couldn't get to you.
Anywhere, I would've followed you.
Say something, I'm giving up on you.

And I will swallow my pride.
You're the one that I love
And I'm saying goodbye.

Say something, I'm giving up on you.
And I'm sorry that I couldn't get to you.
And anywhere, I would have followed you.
Oh-oh-oh-oh say something, I'm giving up on you.

Say something, I'm giving up on you.
Say something...

No comments:

Post a Comment